2010-10-22 - NJ Overnight Report - Not a Great Night Out There!
I guess this was just one of those trips, we all want to pretend never happend. But it did...and it will give me indigestion for a while. After our last overnight trip (one of our best of the year for sure), we had hoped to fish the same water, a bit further south. Looked like it was pushing into the 100 line right above the Spencer..perfect we said, right where we like it. Well, we had the good fortune of having a few friends out Monday Night who gave us a sat phone call tuesday am (thanks Keith) with the bad news....no tuna in that water any more.テモテつ

Ok, now what? Joe and I pow-wow all morning, I talked to Mitch Roffer, and we decided that given the nice forecast, drifting the deep of the Baltimiore sounded like a decent bet. So that's where we headed looking for the 4-5 degree temperature break and some 70 degree water.テモテつ
We ran right to about 500 fathoms where we found the beginning of the 4-5 degree temperature break. It looked ok..not great, but ok. We trolled the area, down sea for about 2 hours until just before dark. The main problem was the weather...it was nowhere near what was forecast, atleast not any forecast I looked at. At this point, we were sorta stuck. The edge was cold and we wanted to be fishing this temerature change out here in the deep. Drifting side-to was completely out of the question in these conditions. Luckily we had a sea anchor, so we put it out, and planned to give the area till 10:00pm then make a decision from there. Well, by 8:30 everyone had pretty much had enough of the bounching around. Even with the sea anchor out and the bow more or less into it, it was just plain uncomfortable.テモテつ

At this point, our options were pretty limited. Our only real option (besides going home which i know a couple other boats did) was to move inshore and anchor up, which is what we did. So we deployed our 1800' of anchor line and actually manged to find a sliver of warm water just below the SW corner of the Baltimore. How we found this I have no idea, just plain luck. In talking with one of the Long Liners who was setting out in 500 fathoms right near us, it seemed that we might find some Yellowfin in the SW corner where we set up. Let me tell you, the ride just to get from 500 fathoms into 100 fathoms was not pretty, even at 8 knots.

Now I'm sure everyone is waitnig for the rest of the story of the night...well, there really isn't one. We finally got our lone bite of the night about 4:30 and came tight with a nice sword that jumped right next to the boat. We fought him for 15 minutes, he tangled with some other lines, and for one reason or the other, we broke him off. We chunked till 7:30am, pulled the anchor, made our way up the west wall, checking out some pots for dolphin, but they've apparantly flown the coup for warmer waters. At 9:30 we deciced to lick our wounds and head for the barn. To add insult to injury the course home weren't great either. Luckily someone finally through us a bone and after we got inside 50 fathoms it began to lay down nicely and we were able to kick er up to 23 knots the rest of the way.

Ok, so now what...well, first thing we did was cancel tonights trip to re-group. Sounds like the fish are biting up north again. Seems it's one of those years, that as soon as the water/fish get to about the Lindy, they get pushed offshore and lost to the deep. I would expect to be fishing up north the rest of the year unless, or until, some consistency develops in the Southern Canyons.

Tight Lines,